Turkish citizenship investment is regulated under Turkish law as an exceptional way to acquire Turkish citizenship. Turkish citizenship can be acquired exceptionally by investing in real estate or holding a certain amount of deposits in a bank. In this article, the way to acquire Turkish citizenship through real estate purchases will be explained.
Foreign nationals not citizens of the Republic of Turkey and their spouses and children under 18 can apply for Turkish citizenship exceptionally if they invest in the scope and amounts specified in the Presidential Decree. According to the regulation made in 2022, the value of the immovable property to be invested must be at least 400,000 US Dollars (USD).
In addition, in applications made in this way, the spouse and children under 18 can also qualify for citizenship in the same application as the person without the need to purchase real estate.
TURKISH CITIZENSHIP INVESTMENT CONDITIONS
How to get Turkish citizenship by investment? The conditions for the acquisition of Turkish citizenship, exceptionally through the acquisition of real estate, are regulated by the amendments made by Presidential Decree No. 418 and Article 20 of the Regulation on the Implementation of the Turkish Citizenship Law, and these conditions can be listed as follows:
- The real estate must be purchased for at least USD 400,000 or its equivalent in foreign currency or Turkish Lira, and a notary public annotation must be placed on this real estate stating that it “cannot be sold for three years.”
- A notarized contract stating that the sale of the immovable property for which condominium ownership or condominium easement has been established and for which at least USD 400,000 or its equivalent in foreign currency or Turkish Lira has been deposited in cash must be annotated to the land registry with the commitment that it will not be transferred or abandoned for three years.
- It must be determined by the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization that condition (i) or (ii) is met.
If these conditions are met, the prerequisites for the application will have been met, and an application for the acquisition of Turkish citizenship can be made exceptionally from the Directorates of Population and Citizenship Affairs.
- Form petition stating the request
- Passport or similar document showing which state the person is a citizen of, or if the person is stateless, the relevant document if it is possible to obtain it.
- Civil status certificate and marriage certificate if married, divorce certificate if divorced, death certificate of the spouse if widowed
- A document such as a birth certificate or civil registration sample showing the identity information of the person and, if married, a civil registration sample or similar document proving the family ties of the spouse and children
- If there are first or second-degree relatives who are Turkish citizens, a copy of the population record taken from the system by the application authorities for these persons
- If the month and day of the person’s date of birth are not available, a document obtained from the competent authorities of the country to complete the date of birth, or if the document cannot be obtained, a signed statement that the person agrees to be processed in accordance with Article 39 of the Population Services Law No. 5490
- Receipt showing that the service fee has been deposited to the Finance cashier
- Notarized deed for the sale of immovable property or a copy of a contract of promise to sell immovable property
- A copy of the title deed of the purchased real estate
- “Real Estate Fair Value Certificate” obtained from the relevant municipalities regarding the purchased real estate
The advantages of Turkish citizenship investment through real estate acquisition include free movement in Turkey, access to business and investment opportunities, tax advantages, and social rights.
The program usually includes residential and commercial properties or land. However, it is important to consult with the authorities before applying.
To apply for Turkish citizenship through real estate acquisition, you must make a specific investment. The application process may vary depending on the type of investment. In general, it includes steps such as preparing the application file, obtaining the relevant documents, and submitting the application to the authorities.
The lower limit for applying for Turkish citizenship through real estate acquisition may change over time. It is important to check with the authorities to find out the current limit, which is $400.000 for February 2024.
The duration of the application varies depending on the type of investment and documents applied for. Usually, the process can take several months. There may be additional requirements for the application, so it is important to check with the authorities.
Yes, there may be investment options other than real estate acquisition to obtain Turkish citizenship. For example, making deposits in a bank account or establishing a company can also be considered.
Once you become a Turkish citizen, you have the right to free movement, employment, and education in Turkey. You can also benefit from tax advantages as a citizen owning real estate in Turkey.